Monday, May 14, 2012

Salisbury Steak with Mushroom Gravy

My husband loves ground beef! I'm not too keen on it and I wanted to try something other than the traditional meatloaf or burgers so I decided on Salisbury steak with a sort of wine/mushroom gravy. Makes 5 or 6 serving.
Let's get right to it!

Here's what you'll need:

1-1 1/2 lb ground sirloin

1/2 or so grated onion (sweet or white)

bout 1/4 of an onion (sweet or white) slivered or sliced thinly

2 garlic cloves, minced

olive oil

1-2 tbsp butter

mushrooms (we used baby bellas but any will work, canned or fresh)

red cooking wine

1 1/2-2 C beef stock or broth

flour or cornstarch

red wine vinegar

salt and pepper to taste

First mix the raw meat with the grated onion, salt, pepper, and garlic. Once mixed thoroughly, (I suggest mixing with your hand), shape into 5-6 patties. Looking back, I would have made my patties just a little thinner. Learn from my mistake. :)
Heat a pan over med-high or you can do what I did and use a griddle at about 350. Coat either one with olive oil and cook patties 2-3 min on each side until browned but not burnt. I should have cooked mine a little less, again, learn from my mistakes. haha
For gravy, melt the butter in a pan and add your mushrooms and onions to saute about 3-4 minutes. Add around 1/2 cup or so cooking wine and continue cooking, stirring some. Separately, combine the broth with either about 2 tbsp flour or 1 tbsp corn starch. Once whisked smooth, add to the pan and bring to a slow boil stirring consistently during this time.
Once thickened to your liking, add the patties and around 2 tsp red wine vinegar to the pan and heat for another 1-2 minutes. Serve with a side of mashed potatoes or rice.

No comments:

Post a Comment