Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Citrus Grilled Tilapia Packets

When I was a young mother I thought the only way to cook fish was directly on the grill and the only fish I (thought) I knew how to cook was catfish. Needless to say, I hated to cook fish because it never really turned out right and half of it ended up in the bottom of the grill.
Today we're talking about Tilapia packets but making foil packets in general is a really great way to use the grill. You can be creative on what you add and it will always turn out perfectly! I love the way everything steams together and takes on each other's flavors. Easier cleanup is another bonus.
On a side note: if you make this recipe I would suggest adding some red or yellow pepper rings to the packets. I wish I would have. Ok, on to the recipe...

Ingredients (per packet)
1-2 filets of tilapia depending on their size. I used frozen and they were tiny
1-2 orange slices
2 lime slices
some shallots or red onion thin sliced
bit of diced garlic
fresh thyme sprig
2-4 tbsp white wine
salt & pepper
about a tbsp butter or margarine

Start by making a foil "bowl" to hold everything. I formed mine to the inside of my glass baking dish to keep anything from spilling out. Put down the orange, lime, shallot, butter, garlic. (as shown)Remember, this is not an exact science, you can put more or less of anything or omit things, change stuff around, whatever you want!
Add the fish on top, sprinkle with salt & pepper, add thyme (you could easily substitute dill here). This is where I would have added a slice or two of bell pepper..add wine. If you don't like wine, add a little water or more butter. The point is that you need the liquid to steam the fish. I would NOT suggest adding beer. We made a couple of these with beer and it made the fish way too bitter.
Now it's time to fold up the packets. First bring the two long sides of the foil together and fold a few times, then fold the ends up towards the fish. Keep the packets seam side up and poke two small holes in the foil so that steam can escape. Put these on the grill for around 12-15 minutes keeping the grill right around 350-400 degrees. I also alternated opening and closing the grill depending on if the corn was getting too hot.
P.S. If you're going to grill corn in the husk, make sure you soak it in water first or it will catch fire.
You'll be able to hear the liquid boiling inside of the packets.
The fish is done when it is white and opaque. Enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment