Tuesday, June 19, 2012

How to Smoke Meat (Without a Smoker)

Personally, I love the taste of smoked meat. They even make charcoal nowadays that infuses flavor into your meat. Sadly, I only have a gas grill.
I finally decided to try "smoking chips" to use in the grill and they work great! You can find them in the BBQ section by the charcoal and lighter fluid.

Here's the one that I bought.
For this post I'm using beef ribs because they were an excellent price,
but you can use virtually any meat or even veggies.
All I did to prepare the meat was sprinkle on some dry rub and pat it in. It was a "Montreal" blend I believe. The brand doesn't matter.
To prepare the wood chips you just use Heavy Duty Foil to make a pouch that's about 6in x 4in or so. (Enough to hold 2-3 handfuls of the the stuff). Wrap it up and then poke a few holes in the top of the pouch for the smoke to escape. The instructions are on the bag.
Turn on your grill, place the pouch in the center, close the lid and wait for the pouch to start smoking. It took mine about 15 minutes but I'm sure it varies by brand.
Once it's smoking, move it to a corner of the grill and add your meat.

As you can see, my first attempt to add the meat was unsuccessful and caused a fire that was large enough to call for help from the hubby! haha Doesn't look too bad in the pic,
but trust me, the entire grill was up in flames!
Luckily, the ribs survived unscathed. I learned that the layer of fat that lines the bottom of the ribs drips when heated and is extremely flammable! Hey, I'm no expert!

My 2nd attempt, with a foil-lined grill minus a hole cut out where the packet goes.
After about 20 minutes or so on the med/low
setting with the lid closed.
At this point you can mop on barbecue sauce and let it cook a little longer or you can eat them just like this.
As you can see, we like our beef a little rare.
You can grill for about 5-10 min longer on
med/low for well-done.

No comments:

Post a Comment